Monday, October 19, 2015

Meet the Executive Committee: Donna King, Chairman 2015-17


Donna King serves as the 2015-17 NPC chairman.

About Donna: Donna is a member of Sigma Kappa and is from Lake Oswego, Ore. She studied arts administration and history at Whitworth University with the hope of pursuing a career in museum curatorial work. She has three siblings, one who is also a member of Sigma Kappa. Donna serves as Sigma Kappa’s NPC delegate, an NPC director and an NPC Foundation trustee. She has worked in student development for a university and owned her own business as a freelance graphic designer. Donna has been a Sigma Kappa volunteer for over 36 years.

What do you enjoy most about working for NPC? I enjoy the lifetime friendships I have developed over two decades; working collaboratively with a group of the brightest and most talented women assembled in one place; watching the evolution of NPC as the premier voice and advocate for the sorority experience; and engaging with amazing staff members who are passionate about NPC.

If you had to work on only one project for the next year, what would it be? Possibly cleaning off my desk and organizing my piles of paperwork. It’s interesting how in a paperless world, one can still have so much paper.

What is something you do every day? I try to Facetime with my grand-baby Ashton every day. He changes daily, and it is important I see those changes, and he sees his grandmother. “Grandma in a box” (iPad screen), that’s me!

What are you most passionate about? I am passionate about the work I do for NPC and Sigma Kappa. I believe so strongly in what the sorority experience affords women for a lifetime. Over the years, I have seen the value, power and beauty of the lifetime membership experience through my mother, also a Sigma Kappa. At age 89, her membership continues to be central to who she is. How could I not want this for all the young women to come?

What have you gained by being a member of a sorority? My membership has afforded me opportunities possibly no other membership experience could have. I have met, engaged, led, mentored and become friends with outstanding women in all walks of life. My greatest joy has been being a part of the lives of women from their collegiate years through careers, marriage and motherhood.

Favorite book?  My favorite book is “The Damnable Legacy of a Minister’s Wife” by G. Elizabeth Kretchmer.

Favorite artist? My favorite artist is Claude Monet.

How would your friends and family describe you in three words? Caring, considerate and selfless


Fun fact: I became an alumnae initiate of Sigma Kappa at age 19.