Monday, October 19, 2015

Meet the Executive Committee: Frances Mitchelson, Panhellenics chairman 2015-17

Frances Mitchelson is the 2015-17 Panhellenics chairman. The Panhellenics chairman works with a team of volunteers to oversee College Panhellenics and Alumnae Panhellenics. Frances will serve as liaison to the Extension, RFM, Recruitment, Judicial Appeals and New College Panhellenics committees.

About Frances: Frances is from Natchitoches, La., but now lives in Pittsburg, Kan. She earned a bachelor of science degree in pre-medicine from Northeast Louisiana University, because she wanted to be a pediatrician. Frances has an older brother, John, and a younger sister, Maria. She is a member of Phi Mu and traveled as a chapter consultant after graduating from college. Frances earned her master’s degree at the University of Idaho while serving as its fraternity/sorority advisor, and she later became the director of student life at Pittsburg State University. She has also served as Phi Mu national president, public relations and editorial director, sesquicentennial chairman and academic excellence chairman, among other volunteer positions.

What do you enjoy most about working for NPC? I enjoy the leadership development for College Panhellenic officers and the friendships made with women from all NPC sororities. I want chapters to choose their “best and brightest” to be a part of Panhellenic.

What is something you do every day? I look at the Phi Mu creed that I keep on the mirror of my vanity and remind myself each day to live by the ideals of love, honor and truth.

What are you most passionate about? I am passionate about programs that positively impact the well-being of women and children. My community volunteer work and national sorority work align perfectly with this passion.

What's your biggest pet peeve? When someone says, “I was an  ‘XYZ’”... sorority and fraternity membership is for a lifetime, and every person should be proud to say, “I am an ‘XYZ!’”

What have you gained by being a member of a sorority? I’m a better person. My favorite anonymous quote is “My letters don’t make me better than you, they make me better than I used to be.”

How would your friends and family describe you? She’s a hard worker!

Fun fact: My husband and son are members of Phi Gamma Delta. My husband, Kevin, serves on its archon board and my son, William, is a senior at New York University.