Monday, March 3, 2014

Why I Wear My Badge: It Is an Honor and a Privilege


Jean M. Mrasek, Chi Omega
NPC Chairman


I wear my badge as a badge of honor. It is a privilege to be associated with a women’s fraternity that promotes intellectual and scholarly pursuits, community outreach through unselfishness and service and character development through social interactions. I am inspired to put values into action. The badge is an outward sign of teachings and symbolism revealed in our ritual. I am proud to wear it over my heart.





Donna C. King, Sigma Kappa
NPC Vice Chairman
Each badge my NPC sisters wear represents an organization with a rich history, values and traditions. The Sigma Kappa badge is simple in design, yet members can customize their badges with different gems. Only one precious jewel is reserved to signify service on the Sigma Kappa governing board, and that is the diamond. My alternating diamond and pearl badge is beautiful and it is a privilege to wear it. In honor of NPC leadership rotation, Sigma Kappa presented me with an embellished badge in October of this year. It is a gold sphere encrusted with 26 emeralds representing the 26 inter/national sororities encircling a Sigma Kappa badge of alternating emeralds (for NPC) and pearls. It is stunning beyond words, and it reflects an exciting time in Sigma Kappa history. I am humbled by its beauty and the awesomeness of what it represents each time I wear it.

Not just today on International Badge Day, but every time you wear your badge, wear it with pride, as it is an honor and a privilege to represent your organization and sorority women everywhere.